Jobs secured at SCA
Last updated at 17:25, Tuesday, 03 January 2012
TISSUE manufacturer SCA Hygiene Products has created more than a dozen jobs and is expanding its apprentice programme after switching production of some of its paper towel products from mainland Europe to Prudhoe.
A multi-million pound investment in a new production line will enable SCA to produce Tork zigzag-folding paper towels in the UK for the first time.
This will significantly reduce delivery times to hotel, hospital and commercial customers.
Site manager at Prudhoe, Tony Richards, said: “We are delighted that Prudhoe Mill has won this investment which helps to provide new employment, safeguards existing jobs and gives support to the local economy.
“This project is the latest in a long line of key investments designed to improve the performance of our business, deliver significant environmental improvements and ensure that we remain on track to achieving a long-term, sustainable future for the mill.”
The company has recently finished recruiting for next year’s Graduate Accelerator Programme.
Mr Richards said: “This is where we take people leaving university with an engineering degree and put them through a two-year development programme. Coupled with our recruitment of 11 new operations staff, internships for three university students and our long-standing apprenticeship programme, we are confident that our investment will secure our future in Prudhoe.”
Further investment in a new de-inking plant will also help the company meet environmental targets by enabling it to remove ink from recycled waste paper, such as newsprint and office stationery, and reuse it in the production process.
The Prudhoe Mill, part of the Swedish owned SCA group, employs 440 people and manufactures one in five toilet rolls sold in the UK.
First published at 09:07, Monday, 02 January 2012
Published by http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk
- Hexham Courant
- Prudhoe Town Council
- Northumberland County Council
- Prudhoe Jubilee Party
- Prudhoe Allotment Association
- Prudhoe Community Partnership
- Prudhoe Community High School
- St Mary Magdalene Parish Church
- Prudhoe & District U3A
- Prudhoe Gleemen
- Prudhoe Dolphins Swimming Club
- Prudhoe Castle
- Prudhoe Golf Club
- Prudhoe Westworld gymnastics and trampolining
- Prudhoe Waterworld Leisure Centre
- Prudhoe Community Partnership
- Prudhoe Community Allotment
- Three-year wait for new school
- Dragon Tale wins award
- Court jails man following attack in Wylam pub
- Triple triumph for leek grower Chris
- Sinbad sails into Prudhoe ... oh yes he does!
- £1,000 boost for hospice
- Kindle marks new chapter for unpublished authors like Ian Heslop
- Thousands flock to the shows
- Little family are big leek show winners
- Fuse centre’s future hangs in the balance
- Bridge closure leads to gridlock fears
- Poor turnout by council
- Health unit will be centre of excellence
- Wylam: Calls for action as speeding motorists put lives at risk
- LOOKING BACK PICTURES
- Swimming pool opening times
- Prudhoe: high school plans go on show
- Prudhoe: Hair salon is seeing pink for breast cancer charity
- County-wide order on Ovingham man
- Prudhoe: Media centre lights the fuse for new community cinema