SCM Pharma links up with university
Last updated at 10:13, Monday, 12 December 2011
PRUDHOE-BASED drug manufacturer SCM Pharma has acquired a new facility as part of a collaborative deal with the University of Sunderland.
The development and contract manufacturing company, which specialises in making sterile drug products, will house its new formulation development capability in laboratory space at the university’s state-of-the-art £8.5 million science complex.
The new service complements the work at SCM’s manufacturing headquarters in Prudhoe, and follows a two year development project with Mitovie Pharma to assist the speciality drug developer with formulation support.
SCM’s managing director Dianne Sharp said: “We are delighted to be teaming up with the University of Sunderland to help widen our service offering and support our continued expansion.
“Although we have seen huge export growth over the last two years, we are now working with most of the universities in the region, which emphasises how committed and firmly rooted we are in the North-East.
“We expect this deal to demonstrate how local partnerships established right on our doorstep can impact global markets.”
To coincide with the acquisition, SCM has recruited pharmacist Ian Davis as a senior technologist to work at the facility.
Mr Davis, a Sunderland graduate himself, will support the launch and work in a department set-up to support pharmaceutical companies, hospitals and universities needing to formulate or reformulate novel new medicines.
Team leader for Pharmaceutical Science at the University of Sunderland, Dr Adrian Moore said: “Linking up with SCM Pharma in our sciences complex is an incredibly exciting opportunity for our scientific staff, students and researchers on campus and is a reflection of our significant experience in the area of pharmaceutics.
“We have state-of-the-art analytical equipment on site that SCM Pharma can access, which will help support the rapid development of their new products, as well as exposure to a team of specialists with expertise in pharmaceutics.
“Working in conjunction with a leading North-East SME also means our students will be able to interact with people in the pharmaceutical industry and see first-hand pharmaceutical practices in operation.”
With around 80 employees, SCM has now worked across a number of therapeutic areas including cancer, diabetes, arthritis, epilepsy, dermatitis, needle-free injection technology and sexual health.
First published at 09:04, Monday, 12 December 2011
Published by http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk
- Hexham Courant
- Prudhoe Town Council
- Northumberland County Council
- Prudhoe Jubilee Party
- Prudhoe Allotment Association
- Prudhoe Community Partnership
- Prudhoe Community High School
- St Mary Magdalene Parish Church
- Prudhoe & District U3A
- Prudhoe Gleemen
- Prudhoe Dolphins Swimming Club
- Prudhoe Castle
- Prudhoe Golf Club
- Prudhoe Westworld gymnastics and trampolining
- Prudhoe Waterworld Leisure Centre
- Prudhoe Community Partnership
- Prudhoe Community Allotment
- Ovingham Bridge programme seven weeks behind schedule
- Mickley: Homes scheme unveiled
- Prudhoe mum and daughter die in road crash
- LOOKING BACK PICTURES
- Prudhoe’s £26m centre helps youngsters from far and wide
- 400 homes mapped out for Prudhoe hospital grounds
- Cyclist injured in Prudhoe road accident
- Webwatch blog
- COUNTY YOUNGSTERS ARE CREAM OF THE CROP
- School fashion show is a load of old rubbish