Wylam Post Office reopens for business after armed robbery
Last updated at 11:21, Tuesday, 10 April 2012
WYLAM Post Office has reopened following a vicious robbery on February 10.
Sub-postmaster Fred Voase and his wife Rosa were assaulted during the incident, and closed the business for several weeks as they recovered at home.
Now, they have reopened with slightly reduced hours, no longer operating on Tuesdays or Fridays, which are typically quiet days.
The robbery took place just after 8am, when two men entered the building at Laburnum Terrace armed with what police are calling “jemmy type instruments”.
They assaulted Mr and Mrs Voase, both in their late 60s, before making off with cash and a car.
Mr Voase suffered a rib injury and bruising to his face, while Mrs Voase suffered bruising to her back.
Both received treatment at hospital.
This week, Mrs Voase did not wish to comment on the issue.
However, the following statement appeared in the most recent edition of The Wylam Globe, Wylam Parish Council’s newsletter: “Rosa and Fred Voase, and their family, would like to extend their sincere thanks to everyone in Wylam and district for the many expressions of love and support that were received during the course of the terrible events at the post office in February.
“We are in our 25th year in Wylam Post Office and do not wish these recent events to mar the wonderful times we have enjoyed here.”
The two offenders were wearing dark clothes and balaclavas.
One of the men is described as white and around 6ft tall, with brown eyes and “dark mousy” coloured eyebrows. He spoke with a local accent and was wearing a dark blue nylon jacket, similar to a shellsuit jacket, black tracksuit bottoms and dark trainers.
The second man is described as being white, around 5ft 6ins tall, and of a stocky build. He was wearing a baggy sports-type shellsuit jacket and pants with ties on the bottom.
Inquiries into the robbery are ongoing and the Post Office has offered £10,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those involved.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 ext 69191 or to get in touch with the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Wylam Post Office will now open from 9am to 5.30pm on Mondays and Thursdays, and from 9am to 12.30am on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
First published at 09:10, Monday, 09 April 2012
Published by http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk
- Hexham Courant
- Prudhoe Town Council
- Northumberland County Council
- Prudhoe Jubilee Party
- Prudhoe Allotment Association
- Prudhoe Community Partnership
- Prudhoe Community High School
- St Mary Magdalene Parish Church
- Prudhoe & District U3A
- Prudhoe Gleemen
- Prudhoe Dolphins Swimming Club
- Prudhoe Castle
- Prudhoe Golf Club
- Prudhoe Westworld gymnastics and trampolining
- Prudhoe Waterworld Leisure Centre
- Prudhoe Community Partnership
- Prudhoe Community Allotment
- Turning back the clock - Old Prudhoe (11 comments)
- 45 jobs lost as firm pulls out of Prudhoe
- Wylam news
- Health unit will be centre of excellence
- Swimming pool opening times
- Ovingham: £3.2m investment will secure bridge’s future
- Compensation would be kindest cut for residents
- Beekeepers create a buzz in Hexham
- Artful attempt to beat the vandals
- Plastic bags