Young carol singers light up Prudhoe for Christmas
Last updated at 14:46, Thursday, 13 December 2012
MASSIVE crowds turned out for the switch-on of Prudhoe Christmas lights last Friday.
Families began arriving at the Glade area of Front Street as early as 4.30pm to enjoy entertainment from Mr Disco Man, aka John Robson, and carol singing from local children, alongside the St Mary Magdalene Parish Church choir.
Wendy Neal, producer of Prudhoe’s Dragon Tale theatre group and Olympic torchbearer for the town, then did the honours, speaking of the sense of community in Prudhoe.
Santa, naturally, was in attendance and goodies were provided by Prudhoe’s Co-op, The Original Factory Shop, The One Stop Shop and Creative Management, the company that provides lunches for Prudhoe High School.
Crafts produced by Prudhoe Parents’ Group were also sold at the event.
Sarah Eden, administrator for Prudhoe Town Council, which organises the festivities, said: “It was the best to date, I think.
“There wasn’t room to swing a cat.
“I think having Mickley First School and Prudhoe Castle First School pupils singing made a big difference, and, unlike last year when there had been some snow, it was a lovely day, which might have helped.”
Mrs Eden added that the town council had also advertised the switch-on effectively by distributing flyers among local schools.
Traders were also invited to take part and the council had responded to their suggestion that lights should be extended further up Front Street.
In fact, the only problem to occur on the evening was the swift disappearance of the mulled wine.
“We had a concoction of red wine and lemonade instead,” Mrs Eden said
“The town council’s events group will now know for next year: order more mulled wine!”
First published at 07:41, Wednesday, 12 December 2012
Published by http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk
- Hexham Courant
- Prudhoe Town Council
- Northumberland County Council
- Prudhoe Jubilee Party
- Prudhoe Allotment Association
- Prudhoe Community Partnership
- Prudhoe Community High School
- St Mary Magdalene Parish Church
- Prudhoe & District U3A
- Prudhoe Gleemen
- Prudhoe Dolphins Swimming Club
- Prudhoe Castle
- Prudhoe Golf Club
- Prudhoe Westworld gymnastics and trampolining
- Prudhoe Waterworld Leisure Centre
- Prudhoe Community Partnership
- Prudhoe Community Allotment
- Three-year wait for new school
- Dragon Tale wins award
- Court jails man following attack in Wylam pub
- Triple triumph for leek grower Chris
- Sinbad sails into Prudhoe ... oh yes he does!
- £1,000 boost for hospice
- Kindle marks new chapter for unpublished authors like Ian Heslop
- Thousands flock to the shows
- Little family are big leek show winners
- Fuse centre’s future hangs in the balance
- Bridge closure leads to gridlock fears
- Poor turnout by council
- Health unit will be centre of excellence
- Wylam: Calls for action as speeding motorists put lives at risk
- LOOKING BACK PICTURES
- Swimming pool opening times
- Prudhoe: high school plans go on show
- Prudhoe: Hair salon is seeing pink for breast cancer charity
- County-wide order on Ovingham man
- Prudhoe: Media centre lights the fuse for new community cinema